In Kind, we enter a distant and out of joint universe littered by somber fairy tales and magic. We find ourselves in a somber forest at the foot of menacing cliffs, a world that precedes good and evil, in which no limits have been set yet. With infantile tics and gestures, a girl who is far too large riding a bike that is far too small for her leads us into her universe on the fraying borders of the unconscious. A state where the earth speaks, where children grow on trees, and where strange events spark curiosity rather than alarming anyone.
After Vader (2014) and Moeder (2016), Kind is the third part of Peeping Tom’s family trilogy that explores the themes or memory, recollections, and the tragic search for links. In Kind, Gabriela Carrizo and Franck Chartier explore the sources of psychosis from the point of view of the child.
Production Partners: KVS – Koninklijke Vlaamse Schouwburg Brussel (BE), Teatre Nacional de
Catalunya / GREC Festival de Barcelona (ES), Theater im Pfalzbau
Coproduction: Les Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg (LU), deSingel Antwerpen (BE), Théâtre de la Ville Paris / Maison des Arts de Créteil (FR), Maison de la Culture de Bourges (FR), Festival Aperto / Fondazione I Teatri Reggio Emilia (IT), La Rose des Vents Villeneuve d’Ascq (FR), Théâtre de Caen (FR), Gessnerallee Zürich (CH), La Bâtie – Festival de Genève (CH), Julidans Amsterdam (NL), Le Manège Maubeuge (FR)
Peeping TomGabriela Carrizo & Franck Chartier
- Genre: Dance / Theatre
- World premiere: 23 April '19 Les Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg
- Performance period: Limited periods on demand
- Direction: Gabriela Carrizo & Franck Chartier
- Creation & performance: Eurudike De Beul, Maria Carolina Vieira, Marie Gyselbrecht, Brandon Lagaert, Hun-Mok Jung, Yi-Chun Liu
- Artistic assistance: Lulu Tikovsky
- Sound design & arrangements: Raphaëlle Latini, Hjorvar Rognvaldsson, Renaud Crols, Annalena Fröhlich, Fhun Gao, Peeping Tom
- Light design: Amber Vandenhoeck, Sinan Poffyn (stage), Peeping Tom
- Set design: Justine Bougerol, Peeping Tom
- Costume design: Lulu Tikovsky, Yi-chun Liu, Nina Lopez Le Galliard (stage), Peeping Tom
"The true Picasso of ballet are Franck Chartier and Gabriela Carrizo."
"An evil ‘Alice in the land of horrors’."
Diario de Sevilla
"[Kind is] unexpected, funny and disturbing, sometimes to the point of discomfort. It is a success."
"This landscape of the untamed imagination may be about childhood, but Child is not a children’s show. You’ll leave wanting to treat children not just with care, but with caution." ****
"Child is full of queasy moments. Its means are bizarrely bold but the emotional pathology portrayed is all too real." ****
"What unfolds, with unabashed and sometimes crass-seeming dream logic, is an unpredictable series of darkly comic encounters between people robustly embodied by the game, diversely talented cast." ***
[Their shows] dig the furrow of our unconscious, in a seductive, hyper-spectacular form. Their living pictures take us through a forest of symbols, populated by virtuoso dancers. High class!"